Monday, March 10, 2008

Autumn Heat Wave

Today I went to Uni even though my body was urging me to stay in bed. I willed my mind to ignore the cold that has invaded my body, and I braved the 37 degree heat.

Melbourne weather is like a fickle boyfriend, hot and cold and impossible to predict. Walking across campus was almost unbearable today in the full glare of the Australian Sun, it felt suffocating and I just wanted some relief from the heat. Then in the evening in a matter of minutes a cool change comes , bringing relief from the stifling heat.

Now the cool change is here and the only evidence remaining of the oppressive heat that zapped me today, is the uncomfortable temperature in my house. The floor boards are still warm and it feels as though my house is radiating heat.

My very hairy dog pants and heaves as his body tries to regulate his temperature in a climate that he was not designed to live in. It seems like a lot of work all that panting, and makes me feel like he's getting hotter. But apparently dogs release heat through their tongue or something like that. Still, it doesn't seem very relaxing. He can't get comfortable, and keeps moving when he gets too hot.

Slowly the house is starting to cool down and the dog is not so restless. Today I am very grateful for the fickle nature of Melbourne weather.

1 comment:

delia said...

Whee! Hello! Thanks for the comment - and yes, we should do a little bit of research - girl's night out? or boys too?